Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day 114, Thursday, 5/1/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles













Hello Eagle Friends,

Today was a full of unexpected shots. It was overcast today but the rain and thunderstorms held off. It was a balmy 62 degrees when I left the valley late this afternoon.

I found no activity on nests 7 or 8 again today. This really didn't surprise me, but for now, I'll keep watching.

I moved on to nest 1 with Daedee and Dancer. Both eagles were vocalizing back and forth as I hiked out, and in that moment I knew something was amiss. I set my gear down, and put my camera and long lens to the sky where I found Damian Danielle circling close to the nest tree. Dancer was on the north side of the nest screaming out at his 2007 immature eagle who was attempting to come to the nest.

Daedee remained in the nest covering the 2008 twins while letting out loud deep calls. Finally, Damian left the nest area and flew up by me. As he was passing me he tilted his head down looking at me. I wonder if he remembers me?

I didn't hike in any closer until Dancer left. I knew when he flew off that would be a signal for Daedee that he felt peace had once again been restored in their nest area, and it was safe for her to begin feeding the eaglets.

My guess is Damain saw Dancer bringing in the food, and merely followed him. The eagles train their eaglets to follow them with the food once they have fledged. I think the "untraining" is a longer process.

Eventually I made it to my north post. I watched as Daedee fed the eaglets. If there were three eaglets, ever, I didn't hear what sounded like a trio of hungry eaglets today. It only sounded like two. I watched as the twins popped up with their tufts of white becoming overgrown with curls of gray down. I wonder what goes through their minds when they reach the nest top and are seeing the world from their view for the first time. It must be incredible.

I moved to the river and that is when Daedee picked up a bird leg, I couldn't identify what kind of bird leg she was eating, maybe a pheasant? I thought it was a turkey at first, but now I'm not sure what it is. She leaned over giving it to her eaglet who didn't know how to swallow it, so she took it back and chewed on it. Suddenly, the eaglet snatched it away from her, but still couldn't figure out how to swallow it. So Daedee took it back and ate it.

I was loading my truck with my gear when a conservation officer I hadn't met before stopped and asked if I'd been turkey hunting. I shook my head, "No, I was just watching the eagles turkey hunting." I gave him an update on the eagle nest and then he had to go.

I moved on to nest 2. There I found 25 day old Terry Gail, up on the nest while climbing around like a one year old child who just discovered how to walk on his legs. He was checking out every corner of that nest.

The Mayor sat on his south branch on the nest tree, watching him. Judy the female eagle arrived shortly thereafter, and landed above the nest on a perch. So I got the first family photo. It appears there is only Terry Gail on this nest, no siblings.
The Mayor flew off and I was shooting images of Judy feeding Terry Gail, and then the eaglet flapping around and crawling all over the nest when my friends, the real Judy and The Mayor pulled up next to me.

"Boy, I wish I had taken your camera you offered," said Donny the Mayor.
"Why, what did you see?"
"A huge moose right in the middle of the road," said Judy.
"That and some black bear." Donny added.

I showed them the first clear shots of Terry Gail and we talked a bit. "We'll we've had a long trip, were almost home and we are tired. Nice seeing you Lisa."
"See you around. Thanks for stopping."

I watched them drive away knowing that in this valley I have found some of the dearest friends in my life.

I moved on to nest 6. There was a great snowy egret fishing near me and a great blue heron across the marsh. Nest box 1 appears to have hatched for I found no goose on the box, or even near it. I didn't find any goslings either, so I don't know the story there, but tomorrow may hold the answers.

Nest 6 eagle was up on the nest brooding their eaglet, who still remains a mystery. Maybe this week I'll get that first chance to see it.

There was a red head drake laying on a mound with a hen black duck. I thought they looked so adorable cuddled up together. None of the other geese have hatched their eggs yet, but the first mound goose stood up and I could see three eggs laying in a bed of white goose down.

At nest 5 I found the eagle up above the nest and I tried to find the eaglet moving around below, but it must have been sleeping.

Nest 3 and 4 eagles were sitting on their nests.

It was a day full of great shots.

I'm looking forward to day 115.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: