Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Day 113, Wednesday, 4/30/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles














Hello Eagle Friends,

Today was one of those days so filled with surprises, I'm still trying to sort out all the opportunities and file them accordingly in my photo files. The weather was gorgeous. It was mostly sunny and 58 degrees when I left the valley this afternoon. Perfect sweatshirt weather.

I found no activity on nest 7 or 8. I will probably scratch both off my "to document" list by the middle of this month.
I had a late start this morning due to work issues and catching up on overdue calls to make. If you were on the list for today and I didn't call you I will catch up with you tomorrow.

I spent the rest of my morning with Daedee and the twins. When I arrived I sat in the gully with the nettles, and gooseberry bushes. I must have missed the feeding for Daedee was sitting up on the edge of the nest when I arrived. She was watching the half dozen turkey vultures diving down south of us.

Eventually she left and went over to sit on her afternoon spot, the "Look Out Tree" perch. The leaves on the cottonwoods were slowly unfolding around her head and the shades of green brought back a grass field of memories from years past, watching her sitting there, season after season, watching her babies grow up while I stood under her watching her watch them grow up.

I saw her looking to the sky a few times and I was sure the pencil sized black dot moving around on the blue skies was Dancer.

I hiked to my north post and sat hoping, watching, waiting, and finally drifting away from eagles for a moment and saying a quiet prayer "I miss you dad--happy birthday where ever you are in the Heavens. He would have been 66 today. Diabetes took too many people I loved that year.

Now I sit with eagles and I realized today the pain was less, and the memories of those I loved stronger. That's what eagles can do for you, too. Make you stronger. Make you see beauty if you open your hearts again.

All I closed with was, "Dad, if you're there, send me a sign, can raise up those eaglets heads?"

I looked up and both eaglets appeared. I probably lost a half dozen shots in a dumb stupor not expecting an answer to that request. But if I have learned anything from theses eagles it is to take your opportunity quickly or you will lose it.

I got exactly, two shots of their heads up. One where you could actually tell they were eaglets. The one with his mouth open, is Daniels Charlie, named after Charlie Daniels who I'm going to be calling this week to let him know his eagle I named after him is strong and finally visible to the world.

Last summer we did a two our "Support our Troops Show with Charlie Daniels and several other artists. I promised Charlie that if I did this project another year, I was going to name the first eaglet after him for all he has done for our country and troops.
The name would have to be Daniels Charlie, as I always name this nests eagles starting with a "D".

The twin I named D'ODEE Brian Michael. This eagle I have chosen to be a symbol for America; a true American eagle. I have planned his name for months, long before he was even an egg, long before he could even be counted, let alone to be born. I was confident, pending natural disasters that I could count on Daniels Charlie's arrival, at least one eagle, but I had to pray extra for his twin. I kept asking God to give us this second eagle, in hopes that if he did arrive, this eagle would be our symbol of our troops coming home and a message from our men and woman who won't.

To those who have lost your loved ones, to you I say, "If it's true, if eagles are really messengers of Heaven, then that's who this eagle will be for you."

D'ODEE Brian Michael. D'OD --stands for Department of Defense-- a real live, American eagle for our American troops and their families. This young eaglet, destined to be an eagle, is your symbol of America watching your flight, supporting you, and praying you home. For our soldiers who died serving so we may all be free, you are the "EE" in freedom, and so shall you be the "EE" in D'ODEE. You are our "Everlasting Eagles" our symbol of freedom.

Brian Michael stands for my brothers who have always been there for me, protecting me, encouraging me, helping me, believing in me and my eagle work. They are my brothers who represent family; a place in our hearts where we eventually find that we truly are our brothers' keepers. Where would we be without our brothers? In naming this eaglet I share with you then, mine.

I moved on to nest 2 where I found 24 day old Terry Gail up on the nest while The Mayor fed or was feeding another eaglet.
My friend and author, John Weiss, saw me at nest 2 so he stopped to say hello. He was out trout fishing today. I told him his nest eagles were the first to hatch out their eaglet. He gave me some great ideas for his book we hope to have out this fall--so be watching for more information on this.

Nest 6 eagle was up on their nest and all was quiet on the marshes below. I scratched any hopes of April goslings, but I know
we will have May goslings this next week.

I moved on to nest 5 where I found the mother perched above the nest and the eaglet must have been asleep below for I couldn't see it.

I stopped to photograph a pair of dragonflies mating, and as I focused the viewfinder was all white. I can't even tell you how I could be that close to a great snowy egret and he didn't even flinch at my huge lens in his face. He was preoccupied. He swayed back and forth a moment and then stabbed through the green algae pulling out a small fingerling fish.

He tossed it so it went down his throat head first and then looked for another fish. I was really short on time and I hated to leave, but I had two more nests to cover.

Both nest 3 and 4 eagles were feeding eaglets. When I passed the spot where the great snowy egret was, he had already left. That's how it is down in the valley. You take your shots while you have your opportunity, because when you look back--they'll be gone.

I'm looking forward to day 114.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: