Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 128, Thursday, 5/15/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles






















Hello Eagle Friends,

Another sunny day in the valley. It was 59 degrees when I arrived this morning and 72 degrees when I left. The next couple days are supposed to be about the same. I have to add this is the way spring used to be. The last couple years we went from
cold to extreme temperatures.

I decided to cover my other nests first before heading to Daedee and Dancers. I found The Mayor up on the nest with their 39 day old eaglet, Terry Gail. I had barely shot a dozen pictures when I saw Judy flying in. There it was right before me, the family
photo opportunity. Too bad eaglets have the tendency to duck down when parents fly in or off the nest. He's there, right under
mom, who is on the right in the above photo.

The share-a-gosling program going on at the first marsh met some bad luck since yesterday. Both of the goose families were still together, and sharing their goslings, but nest 1b, just can't seem to hold onto their goslings and now only had two goslings. Nest 1a had 6, so we lost one to a predator which probably explains the mix up on the goslings again. I keep wondering why these two families have merged.

At nest 6 I found mom on the nest with the twins, but it is almost impossible to locate that nest now. There were two mergansers pestering the mound 3 goose, who surely must be anxious for her goslings at 34 days of waiting. That, and she had a male wood duck and a couple turtles crawling around by her too.

Then I heard, "Hi Lisa." And looked to see Don Anderson walking up to my truck. He's also an avid wildlife photographer in the valley. "So, what were you so intently shooting yesterday when I passed you?"
"Warblers," he replied, "Let me grab my book."
He showed his portfolio of some very impressive wildlife shots from the valley and surrounding area, Yellowstone, and a some other areas. Then as I turned the page I smiled knowing how proud he must have been of an impressive shot of a warbler, a bright yellow bird snapping at a zillion gnats or mosquitos that were all tack sharp. "Very cool shot. This needs to be in a magazine. I'd send it to Outdoor Photographer, or Minnesota Conservation.

Then he showed me images of his baby owl from his backyard and told me a really neat story about it. You'll have to get that story from Don though, as it is his to share. But I told him, "That is a great story, you should write that up and market that story." So any editors looking for a good great horned owl story call Don Anderson from Rochester, MN.

As we talked Dick, the male from nest 6 flew in with something in his talons. He had two feet full of grasses, too, so it was probably a muskrat or duck or gosling. The shot I'm sharing with you above is Dick flying through the woods to the nest with the food. I just liked the mood of this shot better.

Up ahead I found the nest 5 eaglets up on the nest, and the dad was circling above the marshes eyeing the 6 pack of goslings, who are, amazingly, still together. They are the goslings I posted under mom's wing in the rain the other day.

I couldn't see hardly anything at nest 3 and 4. I'm just too far away with not enough time to get in close. Those nests were only meant to be shot daily showing the environment changing around them, with occasional close in shots.

No activity on nest 7 or 8. I was amazed to find nest 8 so easily today.

When I arrived at nest 1, Dancer was chirping from the Look Out tree perch. "Hey Dancer, it's just me today boy." He let out his soft, "ca-ca, ca-ca." I plopped my gear down at my Eagle Nest Coffee Bar & Cafe post, lifted my camera and shot pictures of
Dancer with the foliage coming in behind him.

This shot represents who he is more than any others I have taken this week of him. The way he appears to be looking away, but I assure you he heard watched my finger press the shutter and he heard every click. He flew over to the nest tree and sat above the eaglets causing them to call up to him in their weepy tones.

Daniels Charlie sits about four inches taller than D'ODEE Brian Michael. I still think D'ODEE has something amiss with his beak on the right side. It puckers a little bit outwards. It doesn't seem to hinder him, but I've never seen an eagle with a kink in its beak. Maybe it is something he'll out grow. Maybe his beak is growing faster than it should.

I enjoyed every minute of my time with the eagles today. Their personalities are so comical at this age. The next couple weeks we'll see so many changes and I will blink again, and they will have grown into their feathers and will be flying in the valley.

The two them seem to enjoy cuddling up to one another. Daniels Charlie is gentle and endearing towards D'ODEE who has such a message in his eyes. I wish I knew their language better. It's a knowingness, a look I've seen a hundred times in pet animals I bought at pet shops, in wild animals that have befriended me and then ate my lunch, in people who speak more words with their eyes than their lips.

I sense his message is good, and maybe I'll understand it more as time moves on.

I'm looking forward to day 129.

I'll see you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: