Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Day 134, Wednesday, 5/21/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles


















Hello Eagle Friends,

This was a beautiful spring day. The flowers are blooming everywhere and the birds are making their nests, laying their eggs, and people are finally out sight-seeing, observing nature, hunting, fishing. The valley is once again full of explorers and that is so wonderful to see. It was sunny again with blue skies and 65 degree temperatures.

There was no activity on nest 7 or 8 today.

I hiked out to nest 2 and sat with Judy and The Mayor for about an hour, but Terry Gail never lifted up. The Mayor was on the nest tree when I arrived, and Judy came in not too long after.

I didn't find the Marsh 1a and Marsh 1b goose families today.

At nest 6 I found Linda up on her perch watching the nest from the east, and when the twins started leaning over the nest watching her, she flew back in to sit with them.

I didn't find the goose mound 3 family but I'm trusting they have found a safe refuge somewhere on the marsh and its two foot tall and growing, grasses. I found who I believe are the nest 5 goslings. 6 plump, well-fed goslings who have tripled in size these past three weeks. There were two other goose families with week old to two week old gosling's on the marsh too.

At nest 5 I was surprised to be met by two female red-winged blackbirds as well as the male who always sits above me on his tree branch. I suppose he has a good view from that view point. I went out to their nest and found they mother, which ever one it was, laid a second egg.

The twins were barely visible on nest 5. I have a school group presentation coming up and I think I'll ask the kids to give the nest 3 or 5 eaglets names. Maybe they can draw a picture of them, too?


I was surprised to find 8 great snowy egrets all fishing in a relatively small area of a marsh. One would land, then another fly over him and land next to him and so it went all the while I was there. I never saw a single bird catch anything either. Maybe its better fishing when you fish alone?

At nest 3 the mom or dad was on the nest facing out and I could see one nameless eaglet. I couldn't see much on nest 4.

There was a great blue heron fishing near me so I stopped to photograph him. Then I spotted a sandhill crane walking through some flood brush. I don't know how those birds can glide through any terrain without stumbling.

I saved nest 1 for last and hiked out to find Daedee up on the nest with the twins but she was deep in the nest almost like she was during incubation. Dancer was sitting on the north limb, but something in the north wood captured his attention and he flew off calling out little chirps.

I waited and waited. Then I looked around to see how the robins were coming on their nest. I looked around some more and waited. Finally, about ten minutes before I had to leave, D'ODEE lifted up his darling little head and I was able to capture a couple shots of him.

Then he dipped down in the nest, popped back up, then down again. That's when I realized that he was playing with his sticks again. He was building a nest much like a child playing with Lincoln Logs (TM). After a few minutes Daedee leaned forward
and took away his stick and laid it on her side. I don't blame her. I watched D'ODEE ram into her head two or three times before she took it away.

It was a wonderful day in the valley. I thank God for completing my first full journal today on this years journey.

I'll be starting a new page tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to day 135.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: