Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 135, Thursday, 5/22/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles
















Dear Eagle Friends,

It was once again a gorgeous day in the valley. It was sunny and 72 degrees when I arrived in the valley of eagles.

There was no activity on nest 7. Nest 8 was buried behind leaves.

I hiked out to Dancer and Daedee's nest first. I found Daedee sitting with the twins when I arrived. Daniel's Charlie was sitting opposite from D'ODEE Brian Michael for most of the time I was there.

I moved over to the north side of the nest hoping to get a better shot, and found D'ODEE, who never seems to miss his opportunities, had moved into the shade under his mom.

Two red-tailed hawks were pair hunting the valley. I didn't like how close they were coming in by the eagle nest, apparently, neither did Daedee. She was watching them like a "hawk". (Sorry, you have to give me that one.)

I stayed until almost 4PM and moved on to nest 2. The Mayor was sitting by the nest tree watching 46 day old Terry Gail who was well shaded by the tree trunk. Terry Gail is nearly covered in all feathers now.

The Marsh 1a and Marsh 1b goose families were not anywhere that I could see them.
So I moved on to nest 6.

I found a mother wood duck sitting in the nest mound 2 goose mound. I was laughing as her little ducks climbed up on her back and rolled off. They had no balance--just huge feet that they were still trying to figure out how to maneuver.

Then I saw two eagles fast approaching. The one rolled the other eagle in the sky. I thought at first it was Badger the nest 6, 2007 eaglet, but it was another adult eagle. I then wondered if it was Judy from nest 2?

The two eagles sparred and then Linda flew back to her perch by her nest. The twins were still sleeping, or at least not hopping all over the nest.

A Canada goose family of eight with their gosling's, ran across the road in front of me and I took a couple shots of their gosling's that are already should high.

Traveling down the road I saw a black butterfly flapping and falling backwards. I stopped to help him, but found it was a her. A female black swallowtail who apparently had been hit on the road by a vehicle.

I brought her home to help her feed overnight, and I'll release her tomorrow if she can fly. She wouldn't be the first butterfly we took in and fed.

At nest 5 the two female red-winged blackbirds flew to the tree by their male when I stopped. I went over to check their nest and they had laid their 3rd egg. I don't know if they'll lay a fourth, but it wouldn't be unusual if they did.

I could see the twins bopping around on their nest but they are so hidden in foliage I had to wait until the wind blew, parting the leaves on the tree.

At nest 3 I could see one eaglet up on the north side of the nest, and I think maybe there is a twin. Jim from the DNR stopped and we were talking about this nest. It is confirmed that this is Tookie's parent's new nest.

Tookie was the very first eaglet I was documenting, that was the nest that collapsed and he died. This is the first eaglet this pair has had, unless someone else can tell me different, everyone I have talked to agrees this is the first eaglet or eaglets since Tookie's death.

I couldn't see anything on nest 4.

As I traveled back I saw a white pelican on the marsh and one great snowy egret.

It was a wonderful day and I thank you Lord again, for the eagles, for the valley, for the flowers and for the dear people in that valley and surrounding area.

I'm looking forward to day 136.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: