Friday, May 16, 2008

Day 129, Friday, 5/16/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles






























Hello Eagle Friends,

I can't believe it is Friday. This week went fast with all the beautiful weather, and today was the best of the days. It was 60 degrees when I reached the valley and 72 degrees when I left. We had partly cloudy skies but all I concentrated on was the
sun coming back through the clouds against the blue skies.

I found no activity of nest 7. I couldn't, for the first time, see nest 8. The foliage has closed it off until this fall when the leaves drop and I can check it again to see if it has increased in size over the summer.

I moved on to nest 2. I hiked out to my west post with them and found Judy up on the nest with their 40 day old eaglet, Terry Gail.
The shots were some of the best I have taken so far. I stay a good distance back from this nest. I let the eagles decide our boundary. As far in as they fly to me, that is their comfort zone.

As I watched them a pair of morning doves were working on their nest behind me. They diverted my attention just long enough that I missed my still shots of The Mayor, the nest 2 male, flying in with food. Luckily, I had my video camera on and running.

I turned and shot several images of the parents with the eaglet. Judy tore at the food The Mayor brought in. Then there was a
disagreement. For suddenly, The Mayor lifted off the nest, taking the carcass with him. Judy stood there watching him take off with their lunch. She bent down in the nest and picked up little pieces off the carcass and fed those to Terry Gail.

I wondered if the animal was still alive and moving. I wondered if it posed a threat to Judy and their eaglet. I really wondered if The Mayor was going to feed himself first then give them the left overs. I still think that is what Dancer does. Eats the heads off all the fish and brings in the rest for the family.

Up the road a mile I found both goose families Marsh 1a and 1b sitting together with their goslings by their sides. The 1b family still has their two, and the 1a family their 6. I laughed as the lead gosling plopped down on the bank. Then the next gosling came over and laid right next to him, then the third one laid next to the second, and the fourth one came and tipped his beak in and started to lay down. I wondered why they all laid in a circle?

I moved on to find nest mound 3 goose up and down, turning, prepping the nest, pulling in her goose down to the sides, building up the sides of the nest; finally getting up and laying down the other direction. Maybe the sight of every goose on the marsh swimming with babies was enough to make her turn and look at the back side of a drake mallard posed in front of her.

The nest 6 eagle was on the nest, one of the parents, I just couldn't see which one. I only saw one eaglet stirring about.

Nest 5 nest was quiet. So while I waited I focused on the female red-winged blackbird pulling her nest together, sewing it with her beak to form a cup. That is where she'll lay her 3-5 eggs and I'll get to watch and document another red-winged blackbird nest grow before my eyes.

At nest 3 I found the Canada geese families far back on the back side of the marsh. I was more intrigued with this female swallow (above) who was snapping up the little gnats, but turned for a second giving me a "What are you looking at?" pose.

Then a man pulled up, "Nice camera."
"Thanks."
"Come on, get down."
I couldn't help but notice the old dog hop out of his truck.
"What kind of dog is he?" I asked.
"An English setter. He's 10 years old and loves coming fishing with me in the creek."

I asked, "Can I take his picture?"
I shot some shots but none captured his expression as well as the ones above which I simply caption: Dog watching master. Dog with master; still watching master. I told Jeff I'd make some prints and put in my truck or he said I could drop them off in town at Mauer Brothers, that his name is on the trout board there.

Jeff explained everything he needs is right there in that valley. He hunts there, fishes there, and explores all within 15 minutes of his home. I wasn't surprised that he said that for almost everyone I meet has the same experience.

I moved on to nest 1 and found Daedee up on the nest with the twins. D'ODEE Brian Michael was dozing off to sleep. I included the above series of photos as a glimpse into a sleepy eaglets day. D'ODEE tried to stay awake, but he couldn't. He would nod off to sleep, finally he fell over to his side and even Daedee seemed to be laughing at how he was turned on his back with his
beak falling open pointing up to the sky.

Of course, all it took was big brothers' cry to cause him to jump and roll over. He must have been dreaming that dad was coming in with a record-sized fish for as fast as he lept up and looked out the nest.

Every day is a blessing. Make sure you take a moment and thank God for yours' too.

I'm looking forward to day 130.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: