Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day 103, Sunday, 4/20/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles

















Hello Eagle Friends,

It was an extraordinary day, so much so, we stayed until dark. Em came with me today, eager to see the eaglets, we finally had our first opportunity. The skies were spring blue and the temperature was 64 degrees when we arrived.

We found no activity on nests 7 or 8. However, there was plenty of peeping coming from nest 1. I can, for the first time ever confirm we do have at least twins on nest 1, possibly triplets. The oldest eaglets cries were resonant against the faint peeps of the younger, or youngest eaglet up there. There were many times in the three hours we were there that we heard the soft cries overlapping each other against the louder cries.

Dancer was in the nest area, and Daedee flew off for a break, but stayed on the nest tree. I think even at this young age, the parents are trying to teach their young to cry out at their appearance. I've watched this on nest 2, with The Mayor a week or so back where he kept flying to the nest tree trying to get the eaglet to answer or cry out.

This must be something they need to learn.

When a turkey vulture came into the nest area, Dancer flew over Em and me, tail swagged us, and then took after the vulture. That is the first time he has ever done that when Em was with. He was clearly showing up to look up as if we were to notice that vulture too.

He has done that to me alone before with turkey vultures.

Dancer brought in a sopping wet fish late this afternoon, and then Daedee immediately came down and fed her hungry lot of eaglets. I still won't name the second eaglet or possibly third eaglet, until I have photo proof, which if the weather could be more like spring, could happen this week.

We moved on to nest 2 where Judy was up feeding her hungry two week old eaglet. I no more than said, "I don't think I'll ever get any shots of her baby or babies", when suddenly 14 day old Terry Gail, peered over the nest. That look, that beauty of their tiny white faces and black eyes is breath-taking. They look like baby harp seals, for only a couple weeks, and already, Terry Gail is showing her grey down.

Trying every angle I could, I couldn't see a second head on the nest, but it sure appeared she was feeding a second eaglet. There is one photo that appears it could be two heads, but I am just not sure.

We moved on to nest 6 and I found Linda up on the nest. The geese are all expecting their goslings this next week here, and I'm hoping to be there when it happens. Badger, the nest 6 2007 eaglet was playing eagle games with Dick above the marshes.
There seems to be a never-ending bond with these two.

There were fewer pelicans today, and my guess is they are just early birds, and more will arrive in a couple weeks as always. I will truly miss them when they are gone. They are like the seasonal flowers that make their appearance and leave silently for another year.

The sun was already on the bluff line and it was casting lovely golden light onto the marshes below. In one of those marshes there were four great blue heron all grouped together, backlit from the setting sun. One of those herons dipped down and stabbed a huge fish. I really didn't think he would attempt to eat something as big as a mallard duck, but he did. He swallowed it in one giant bite. I photographed it going in, going down, going further down, going sideways, sliding down sideways further, and then his short pudgy neck was again upright, long, and thin.

My only regret was that I could have been shooting this a few hundred feet closer.

The pelicans came in and flew past the sunset and it was a sight that I enjoyed watching more than photographing. I love the elegance of their flight. For being such a clumsy, awkward bird on land, they project an entirely different opinion once airborne.

Nest 5 had both eagles on the nest and nest tree. The sun had already gone done behind the bluffs, and now was that magical hour where the nocturnal animals begin their calls, the deer step out of the shadows, and the beaver feed on the edge of the marshes.

We moved to nest 3, but before that I observed an adult eagle, dive down take a fish and bring it to land where three immature eagles fought for it. I was trying to understand if this was the nest 3 male, who sits in that area daily. I had to wonder if these were his offspring from 2007, again, or is a combination of a couple years, or are they just making there migration through the area? I don't know. I wish I could have at least traveled back in that area a few times last year, but they didn't open the roads until fall.


Nest 3 appeared to be tearing up food for an eaglet. They should have an eaglet by now, as should nest 4 who also appeared to be feeding an eaglet.

We went frogging but didn't catch any. Em really wanted to catch a frog, but that will have to wait for another time.

We stayed until the hoot owls called out, and the pelicans flew across the marsh lit by the full moon they appeared to be moving lights with their white plumage.

I stopped to shoot the full moon dressed in an orange suit for this night.

It was a day to remember.

I'm looking forward to day 104.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: