Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Day 99, Wednesday, 4/16/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles



















Hello Eagle Friends,

It was another windy day in the valley. The temperature was 68 degrees when I arrived under the partly sunny skies.

I stopped at nest 7 first. For a moment, after the turkey vulture blew past my view, another large black bird appeared only
briefly in the shadows. I lost track of it. The bird simply turned up by the nest and it vanished into the blackness of the shadow side of the woods.

I found turtles out on almost every marsh today, the shot above I found to be my favorite turtle shot for today. This marsh receives only a short burst of sunshine in the afternoons, and maybe that is why it has taken the turtles so long to come
out of hibernation here.

On any given sunny afternoon there will be at least a 100 painted turtles on the limited log space, sometimes stacked three turtles high, on this tiny one acre wild spot.

Nest 6 Linda was on the nest and I was there only a few seconds before a storm of beating wings flew past me waving orange webbed feet like flags that screamed, "eagle alert". Sure enough there was Dick in the arrears giving them all a reason to fly from marsh to marsh, away from his talons.

He flew up and landed on the perch above Linda. Today was day 39. I believe they have one eaglet on the nest, but I still seek to prove it with photos or video.

I moved on to nest 5 and found an eagle up on nest 5 feeding their 10 day old eaglet(s). By this weekend they should be big enough to see, if they aren't sitting under their parents.

Nest 3 and 4 eagles were on their nests. No news from either of these eagles nests.

Judy was on the nest both times I passed her nest today. Her beak was covered in blood from feeding her 9 day old eaglet(s) Terry Gail.

Nothing going on at nest 8. I am still not giving up.

Daedee was on her nest at nest 1 when I arrived. She was sitting so contently, it's a look I have observed four years in row, a
peace that surpasses words. When I see her with that look it describes a bond, a love between eagles and their young. I will until the end of my days say eagles have a love bond with those in their family, a deep connection in their stares that is something to admire.

We were going to have that overdue fondue dinner, the one was cancelled on Valentine's Day, tonight for my husbands birthday. However, it was cancelled due to an employee calling in sick, again. I am selling that fondue pot on Ebay, unless I
find any takers here.

To my husband: Dave, I know you'll be reading this so I want you to know that I have had you in my heart all day. A day that has gone all wrong. From being told you "HAD TO GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER" in order to get a driver's license, (Yes, it's true. In Minnesota, you will be refused a Driver's license without giving them your "social track-you-everywhere- security card." Then to be hit with a double negative when you went to the courthouse booth next to the Driver's License Dept.

I know it's unfair, and frustrating that we again received the incorrect, non-Homesteaded taxes paperwork. I know it's nearly impossible to find people to help you correct their mistakes, even for the second year in a row. How that paperwork was changed, well, we both have our suspicions. I know it cost you $25 bucks to correct it AGAIN this year, and again, we loose the $200 extra, but I just knew today there would be a gift for you.

As I drove along on my project, I passed the sand marsh as I do every day. Nothing was going on there so I didn't stay. I did a double check for my muskrat who has been building there in the ditch. My muskrat has been missing for two days now. I deeply fear he was the one Dick brought to the nest yesterday.

However, when I returned to this same spot a half hour later over 200 pelicans had arrived. They are early this year. When I saw them, I thought of you. How many times have we watched them? I am just sure that was good news feeling and gift for you. I felt it was somehow connected to your special day.

See, the day turned out good afterall, you still have me, and Em, and a flock of pelican's who picked today to land in your pond, a pond of dreams. Oh, and one cattle egret who thought he was a pelican. I wish you could have seen the pelican standing up next to the goose on her nest box. Can you imagine how that must have felt?

Dave's birthday 2008: I know you'll know this one when I copy from the King James Version Bible, "For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

I'd say it was a perfect day, a day that only the beating wings of two hundred pelicans could deliver: a symbol of wishes and dreams coming in for your day. I love you, Happy Birthday.

Looking forward to day 100!

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: