Friday, April 4, 2008

Day 87, Friday, 4/4/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles






















Hello Eagle Friends,

We hit our first 2008 spring day with temperatures reaching the low 60s. It was 57 degrees when we arrived in the valley and 62 degrees by late afternoon. The winds were warm, welcoming and made us wish for more days like this.

We didn't find any activity on nest 7 or 8 again. I hate to say they look like inactive nests, but all signs are pointing to the reality that there just doesn't seem to be any takers.

We saw the MCC (Minnesota Conservation Corps) and the DNR trucks coming out of the valley with their controlled burn equipment. I can't believe its already that time of year, but every April, I see them preparing and burning the fields. I keep hoping they won't return to Daedee and Dancer's nest area for another ten years.

Em and me hiked out to our Wildlife Study post at nest 1. Dancer was on his afternoon nest duty, day 32 incubation. He was excitable again today, even the glimpse of an immature eagle a mile away sent him off the nest calling Daedee in so he could chase it out.

Daedee appeared about ten minutes later with the immature eagle flying above her. I couldn't tell which immature eagle it was for sure, but it sure resembled our Dorothy.

We moved on towards nest 2, but I made a stop to show Em the three painted turtles up on a log sunning themselves. "Em. Look--turtles!" I couldn't believe it. I think the earliest I have seen turtles in the past was mid April, so I was surprised to see these critters out.

At nest 2 I stepped out of the truck and again I rapped on Em's window, "Em, listen--the frogs are out. Want to go find them?"
"Sure."
I don't think I've ever seen her slip on her boots so quickly. "I know exactly where they are, the are in a slough just over this hill." I knew they weren't going to be on the river, but I have had my eye on that slough for a week now.
"Mom, can I keep one if I catch one?"
"Yes."

We sat on the edge of the marsh and narrowed in to where the frogs were calling from, then we walked over to their calls, but couldn't find a single frog. Nest 2s Judy was on her nest for day 43. I just know she must have something up there about to hatch, or an eaglet who has hatched. Maybe tomorrow.

We left after an hour later without a new pet frog.

We went to nest 6 and found one of the eagles on their nest for day 27 incubation.

As we hit the marsh by nest 5 I found a male shoveler with a long sting hanging out of his beak. I grabbed three shots, and it looks like a fish hook is in his bill, but I can't be sure, the lighting was low and it could just be a long piece of weed. I'll watch for this duck again tomorrow. They have been here a few days now, so I expect they hang out another day or so.

There wasn't much going on at nest 5 today. The eagle was on the nest for day 38 incubation or is already on an eaglet, but I'm too far away to see. I kept looking for a path that would bring me closer. Em and me hiked out on this one area, but the floods had carved a path through the land and left a twenty foot gully which was passable with a canoe, but not on foot.

So we laid our hands next to the biggest coyote tracks we've ever seen, and we looked for fossils, and then we made wishes on the red rocks and tossed them in the pond.

It's a legend, a story I made up about getting your wish, but you have to say it out loud while you toss it in.

We headed up to nest 3 and found the eagle sitting for day 27 and then moved on to nest 4.

The eagle was on the nest there for day 24, but that wasn't what held my attention. The marsh had just melted half way across and the seagulls were numerous there, scooping up dead and live fish. There were four immature eagles sitting together in a tree, and one adult eagle down the river a ways.

The skies were filling in with dark clouds resting on the orange hues of the sunset and as I took their picture one immature eagle flew off and I followed him with my lens.

Em kept asking, "Mom, will I really get my wish?"
"Sure you will."
She wanted to capture a character on her video game.

As we were backtracking past nest 6 I said, "I don't believe it!" Then I pulled over.
"Mom--what? Why are you stopping."
"A frog--he just jumped out in front of me."
I let Em catch him. In fact, I video taped her catching it.

"I forgot to tell you that the red rock wish knows your hearts' truest wish--and I believe you were asking for a frog at nest 2 were you not?"

Of course that is all just a story, but to a little girl maybe it opened her imagination just a crack more today.

Em held "Spring" the first frog of 2008, all the way home. I pulled out the old aquarium and he has 55 gallons of space to spread out. I guess Em is old enough now to set up that pond life aquarium we have always talked about.

I'm looking forward to day 88.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: