Sunday, March 9, 2008

Day 61, Sunday, 3/9/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles

For those that are going to my Lisa's Walk The Talk Show, this site is temporarily forwarded here.

Click banner to go to my host bio and listen to show at showtimes, Fridays at 11 AM EST, or to download archives anytime.










































Hello Eagle Friends,

What a fantastic day today was, both in the valley of the eagles, and with the guests at The National Eagle Centers' Soar with the Eagles Festival. I enjoyed meeting you and I hope after hearing about my eagle project, it will stir you to return to the outdoors and discover your own stories, some that may have been waiting a long time for you to find.

It was snowing, light and fluffy flakes the entire time I was on my eagle project. I found Daedee on her nest, incubating for the 6th day, her egg(s). It was 14 degrees when we arrived this morning. Dave and Em waited in the truck. I hiked to the cottonwood grove where I will likely spend the next 30 days waiting for the eaglets to arrive.

I'll have to call Charlie Daniels and let him know the eagles are sitting on the eggs. He knows I am naming the first eaglet from nest 1, Daedee and Dancer's first 2008 offspring, Daniels, Charlie, after Charlie.

There was a pileated woodpecker drilling the trees on the east side of the river. He finally flew to my side as I was leaving. I grabbed a couple shots, but they are blurred making him look like an ivory-billed woodpecker. Yes, I am sure it isn't.

I found Judy on nest 2 incubating for day 15 their egg(s). It hardly seems possible we could have eaglets in two weeks.
I hope for their sake they don't hatch until after the first week of April. It's just too cold. Where are the warm days of winter?
We have had but a handful.

We drove up to nest 6 and I said, "Look, Dick and Linda are on the nest, do you guys see them?"
"I don't know how you see those birds Lisa," replied Dave.
Well I just do. They stick out like bright beacons of light to my eyes. Linda was in the nest, and Dick was sitting above her on what appears to be one of his favorite perches.

A Nest 5 eagle was incubating their egg(s), day 11 incubation.

Nest 3 had one eagle up, but no nesting activity.

Nest 4, appeared vacant today.

No rabbit in the cave today, so we headed off to Wabasha, Minnesota for the Soar with the Eagles Festival. I didn't have to speak until 3 PM, but I wanted to get some shots and video for them for their promotional use.

We arrived in the big L-shaped tent where wildlife humorist David Stoke was speaking. I have to tell you this is a speaker you
don't want to miss. His song, dance, rap, and signing entertained ages from toddler to senior citizens. His enthusiasm and use of props, both stuffed animals, real animals hides, and live turtle and frogs was a huge hit.

The kids lined up for fifteen minutes following his show to pet the frogs, and hold the baby snapping turtles.

Back inside The National Eagle Center they had a speaker with a Harpy Eagle from South America that drew a line outside, both
yesterday and today. As I was shooting for the eagle center images for their promotional use, they arranged for me I to cut in and take a few shots for you all to enjoy. Take a look at that eagle he is absolutely breath-taking. I only could stay a few minutes, but I heard the speaker tell the crowd they feed on monkeys and three-toed-sloths.

Upstairs, was Bryan Pember US Fish & Wildlife Service giving his Ducks on a Stick lecture. They have all the wetland birds mounted on sticks and the guests were entertained by the hands on, real-feel approach of this lecture. Another winner.

Outside on the new observation deck I found children to senior citizens marveling at the bald eagles, both immature and adults diving down on the open Mississippi to capture fish. I filmed one eagle grab a fish as the crowd went wild watching.

Back downstairs people were packing the Photo's with the Eagle area, lining up to be photographed with Harriet, their 26 year old eagle. Inside the feeding area a volunteer was feeding their new male golden eagle. He was hit, and from California, and still getting used to his handlers and new surroundings.

I met so many wonderful people at my lecture, and I want to personally thank you, every one of you for your questions and taking time to learn about the eagles on my project. I think the biggest hit was showing the guests the shots of the eaglets feeding each other.

Here is a link to the virtual tour for the eagle center, in the tour you'll come to a room with large giclee' prints on the wall, this is a portion of my eagle exhibit. Check it out: Visit my eagle exhibit on display currently at The National Eagle Center

Within the next two to three weeks I'll be adding images from Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles, so I'll hope you'll come back to see this ever-changing exhibit.

We were packing up our gear, when we pulled out our guest book and mailing list to put back on the display table under my eagle exhibit. I found comments from visitors as far away as Italy. Brad Pitt, if that was really your signature, thanks.
Then I opened my wirebound notebook. This is for comments, too, but also to be added to my mailing list.
As I turned the pages I began noticing artists who had taken time to draw their eagles.

How do I thank you for this rare gift? You all brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. I wanted the world to see your work so I am posting illustrations here, as well as giving these to The National Eagle Center to enjoy.

The best part of sharing your story is seeing the expressions on the guests faces when you know you have told them something they may not have ever heard. Something that turns wheels behind their eyes and that is a gift each of you gave me
this weekend. I hope you'll stay in touch. Write me. Email me: LisasEagles @ gmail.com (remove the spaces before and after the @ sign.

I'm looking forward to Day 62.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: