Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Day 71, Wednesday, 3/19/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles

For those that are going to my Lisa's Walk The Talk Show, this site is temporarily forwarded here.

Click banner to go to my host bio and listen to show at showtimes, Fridays at 11 AM EST, or to download archives anytime.

















Hello Eagle Friends,

Today was a wonderful day for wildlife photographers. I only met one, Tim, but we both shared the same sandhill cranes subjects above. I think the cranes are some of most lovely birds, and every day I seem to find shots of them that captivate my soul and make me desire to return to them again and again.

It was about 33 degrees when I arrived in the valley. I hiked out and sat with nest one eagles, Daedee and Dancer for about two hours. Dancer came in and offered to take the nest but Daedee wanted to stay on the nest. She peeked at me through her
sticks and I smiled, knowing she was watching me.

There were three pairs of adult eagles migrating through their nest area, and one immature eagle. Dancer stayed close to Daedee. He didn't chase any of the other pairs off, perhaps he didn't see a potential threat. I enjoyed watching him observe
the other pairs sparring and out flying each other in eagle races across the valley.

I moved on to find The Mayor, the male nest 2 eagle, was sitting on the nest. His dark eyes were right on the valley and then turned towards me a couple times. The winds had picked up since early morning and they parted his white feathers on his head, exposing his dark feathers underneath. Today was 26 days incubation for this pair.

I moved on to nest 6 and I was immediately met by a large brown immature eagle who swooped right before me in an attempt to capture a fish on the open water. I kept my lens on him, ignoring the constant Canada goose fights. I had an inkling he would try and go to his old nest. Linda was sitting on the nest for day 11 incubation. Dick was 15 feet above her on his tree perch.

I couldn't believe what happened next. I shot pictures instead of video, only because the action was happening so fast, I'd have missed getting it at all on video.

The eaglet swooped down and tried to land on his father. The father eagle spread his wings and both him and the female vocalized that they didn't want him in the nest area. Stubborn eaglet wouldn't listen, instead he rose up, circled and came right back down almost knocking his dad off. This time the dad flew after him.

The eaglet then flew down and tried to land in the nest next to the mother who spread her wings out covering her eggs, and vocalized her disapproval. The eaglet, one who appears to be still very bonded to his parents left after this and I didn't see him again.

Every time I have watched this, with the eagles rejecting their returning eaglets I keep a small prayer in my heart for them all. They are more social than we acknowledge, and those lone eagles we think are enjoying that alone time, are usually not that alone after all. Unless your the only offspring from a nest. I believe those immature eagles have it the hardest. They have no one to play with, they have no friends, come spring, they find even the parents they adore no longer want them around.

The look on their faces is always the same. Some, like this eaglet, just don't give up that easily.

I moved on and noticed a car parked in the highway with the door open. I thought someone fell out. I saw no one, until I noticed a photographer stalking the sandhill cranes. Nice guy. He's avid outdoor photographer. He showed me some of his work and I have to say it was phenomenal.

For only taking wildlife work up a year ago, he has a very promising future. It's all in a persons wants, and he wants to use his knowledge to teach others how to shoot pictures, how anyone can do this. I told him, "God's going to use you."

He will, too. His heart is in the right place, and talent like that isn't just given without a purpose.

Nest five was on the nest for day 21 incubation. Nest three was on their nest for day 11 incubation, and nest 4 was on their nest for day 8 incubation.

It was a fun day, full of unexpected adventures, and meeting a new photographer.

I'm looking forward to day 72.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: