Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day 75, 3/23/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles

For those that are going to my Lisa's Walk The Talk Show, this site is temporarily forwarded here.

Click banner to go to my host bio and listen to show at showtimes, Fridays at 11 AM EST, or to download archives anytime.



















Hello Eagle Friends,

Happy Easter.

Today was a wonderful day in the valley. It was 31 degrees with a mixture of light and heavy snow, on and off all day.

I hiked out to my nest 1 eagle post and watched as Daedee flew in to a nearby tree, and Dancer flew off the nest and began mating her. Then he flew off and she took the nest.

I thought that was good timing for capturing them mating for the 8th time this season.

Nest 2 was sitting, and one eagle was soaring above the nest it doesn't look like we have eaglets today.

Nest 6 was on their nest, but there was hardly a duck on the big pond. A few hooded merganser's still in pursuit of that female merganser, and a few dozen geese. The snow was falling heavily and it made a picturesque scene.

I moved to nest 5 and found an eagle sitting for day 25 incubation.

Nest 3 was on their nest.

Nest 4 was on their nest.

Then I headed to Wisconsin to pick up some cheese for my grandfather. Unfortunately, as I should have expected, the cheese factory was closed. So I headed further west and took some time to shoot pictures of a bald eagle fishing on a slough. There was a man who hiked out about 500 yards from the eagle sitting on open water, and I worried he would fall through the ice.

Then I went to another marsh and found three great blue herons had arrived! I just love to look at these gorgeous birds, they are so striking with all their shades of grays, blacks, yellow, white. I was only there a second before one of them dove his beak into the marsh and pulled up a eight inch fish.

As I turned back one of them flew up and as he landed I photographed him (above).

On the way back we ran into a young couple walking from their vehicle. We figured they had car problems so we asked if they wanted a ride to the gas station. We got them a gas can and drove them back.

The lady said, "It's my birthday today."

I said, "I promise you, it's going to get better, starting now."

When I got back we stopped at my grandparents and had a few minutes with them, and my mom. It was truly a perfect Easter Day.

I'm looking forward to Day 76.

I'll see you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: