Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day 78, Wednesday, 3/26/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles

For those that are going to my Lisa's Walk The Talk Show, this site is temporarily forwarded here.

Click banner to go to my host bio and listen to show at showtimes, Fridays at 11 AM EST, or to download archives anytime.

























Hello Eagle Friends,

I had a super day in the valley. The temperature was 45 when we arrived. While looking up at the bright blue sky I hardly could convince myself that in 24 hours or less, there would be a snow dropping from the approaching storm.

We hiked out to our second post at nest 1, the Wildlife Study, and waited for the eagles. I could see Dancer or Daedee peering at us through the sticks on their nest. This was day 23 incubation for them, and I'm sure they are becoming anxious to see their eaglet(s).

I didn't see any other immature eagles in the nest area, and so while we waited Em wanted to make mud critters, it was her mud-craft. The catch was we had to pick up the globs of mud with a stick, we couldn't touch the mud at all, and we had to form animal shapes from the globs we dropped onto our sitting log.

Then she made up a story about the mud critters. I think that is the best footage I have of her ever telling a story. It was so good, I told her to write it down. Even the eagle on the nest appeared interested in her tiny voice sharing the story of Mudsie, Sudsie, and I can't remember the other two names.

The first goose nest box had a serious occupant today, and I'm convinced she is sitting on at least one egg.

We moved on to nest 2 and I was eagerly anticipating the look of a proud mother eagle sitting on an eaglet, but I just couldn't tell what was on her mind today. I don't think their eaglet has hatched, maybe tomorrow?

Nest 6 eagle was content just watching the activity below. A second goose pair had claimed their box and the female goose was laying in the box, just as if she had an egg or two underneath. They will lay average 5-6 eggs, of course, I've seen more, but on average that is what I have recorded. All hatch on or about the same time too. They usually stay in the nest box until all have hatched. Again, just my observations.

There were five hooded merganser males pursuing the solo female. I could hear them calling all the way across the pond. They were too far away for any good photos, but I did enjoy just watching them court her.

I found five blue bills courting their female, too. Not much else going on so I moved on.

We checked for the woodchuck, but he either checked out early, was selected quickly (by the red-tailed hawk, or barred owl that perch above his tunnel), or he was sleeping in.

As I began photographing the five wood ducks in pursuit of the female wood duck, the first female I've documented this season, a large shadow flew over me. I called out, "Em, look, a great blue heron!" I followed this beauty to the edge of a marsh where he landed across from another great blue heron on the other side.

Both were too far away for any serious shots, but we enjoyed seeing them interact and fish.

I checked for any immature eagles in the area I had found them yesterday, but found none.

We moved on to nest 3 and one eagle was sitting peacefully on their nest, day 18.

Nest 4 was on their nest, day 15.

Then we made a trip to Nelson Wisconsin. I promised my grandfather some cheese. I asked the clerk if they remain open all year? How was business during the off season. She said, "We only close four days a year. . . Christmas and --"

"Easter!" I finished for her. "I was here on Easter, but you were closed." I thanked her for her help and off we went with our gift cheese bag for my grandfather.

Tonight Dave took the truck in for a oil change, air filter, lube job, and check up while Em and me went to my grandparents.
Grandpa was thankful for the cheese, and then shared several stories from when he served in WW11. He told me about being captured, he told me about the time they prayed, he told me about his purple heart, bronze star, and the time he felt a tug under his arm and at night as he undressed found a hole in and out of his coat, shirt, undershirt, and the red mark that could have pierced his heart.

I told him, "Well, you know God knew I was going to need my grandfather to keep me company late at night, and he picked you."

"Yeah, sure." He replied.

I worked on my Paper Wasp Documentary book cover tonight. This is just a mock cover, I think I have another idea, but let me know your thoughts on this one. This is the mother wasp that I spent over 6 months with documenting her life raising her offspring. It's the documentary that ended my 590 days in the valley. I'm hoping to have this available late fall/ early winter.

I'm looking forward to day 79.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: