Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 8, Wednesday, January 16, 2008, Year Four Dancer & Daedee













Hello Friends of the Eagles,

What a wonderful day today was. Let me explain why . . .

First, the snow missed us. I was thankful for that. I arrived at my hike-in access point at nest one, Daedee and Dancer's nest area and it was a balmy 24 degrees outside, a comfortable weather day here in Minnesota.

I spotted Daedee (female eagle) on their nest as I parked my truck. That was a sight I had not seen since last fall.
It was a sight I needed to see. It was worth taking out all the bundled firewood, a bunch of old coats, an old cardboard table
I thought we must have donated because I had not seen it since last fall, and under that I found it. My long, lost friend to lean
on, my camouflage green Manfrotto tripod, well-used, endlessly-tried, through floods and blizzards, tornado and sleet storms. I thought I lost my dear green friend, but something inside me urged me to check my trunk--the one place I hadn't looked these past eight days.

As I hiked out Dancer flew in, but I was behind flood-brush so I couldn't see if he was carrying in any sticks. For the first time
in these beginning eight days of my year four project, it all finally felt "real". Seeing the eagles together on their nest, and working on it warmed my heart. It's just a guess, but that means in the next 90-93 days. That's just a close guess, I could be off fourteen days either direction, but that's when I'll be waiting and listening for the first cries of the newborn eaglet(s).

For those who don't know, I also do a radio show, Lisa's Walk The Talk Show, it's an internationally syndicated radio show featuring the lives of celebrities, artists, authors, foundations, etc. In my interview with Charlie Daniels last year I promised
to name this first eaglet after him, but I always name them with the letter "D" so the first eaglets name will be Daniels Charlie.
I can't wait to call him up and tell him the good news. For all he has done for us, and our troops and their families, and organizations and causes, I asked him, "Has anyone ever named an eagle after you?" So this will be the year. I'll have to email him and let him know mom and dad eagle are already preparing the nest. He'll think that is cool.

I have a name picked out for the second eaglet, but I won't share that until there is proof of one. Which is usually as long as two weeks after signs of the first eaglet.

**********

I should mention that if you do come upon eagles in the winter or during nesting season not to walk up and scare them into flight. Every time they fly they are using up their fat reserves. It would be like sending you on a one mile run every time you sat down and someone came up.

I keep my distance from the eagles. I have much better shots as the season moves along and the trust builds between me and the birds.

Today I sat for two hours, I mean I stood for two hours, and then Dancer suddenly flew off, and then Daedee followed. Both flew off to the north and perched in nearby trees. One let out a sharp rising pitch "Caaaaaaa" the other eagle answered. I was wondering who was down on the river. They both were watching something. I kept waiting and hoping an eaglet would rise.

For two hours this went on, like a challenge, then suddenly an adult eagle rose, and flew past them. It was probably Judy or
her mate and she just kept flying past them. Once removed, Daedee and Dancer took up preening. I left them to their daily
schedule of January activities while I moved on to cover the other nests.

I didn't want to leave them. For the first time in eight days I felt myself pulled to stay there and just cover their nest. I missed so much this past year, so many stories, that could have been told because I didn't spread myself out more. I look at all the documentaries I covered the first two years along with the eagle nest, and wonder what I missed last year?

I packed my gear and hiked out. I found all the nests empty, but I found an eagle, one with the bright yellow beak, feeding, ravaging a carcass on a broken tree in the woods. I stopped and photographed him or her. I could almost feel how hungry
that bird was by how fast it was tearing the flesh and swallowing the long strips of meat.

That was between nest two and three. Flip an eagle coin, because it's anyone's guess who it was. In a few weeks I'll have learned all the new eagles.

The trumpeter swans moved four feet to the right since I left yesterday. I wondered if a coyote were to cross the marsh at night if those swans would move, or would he not even see them? How can two birds stay in one place for 16 days without hardly moving ten feet?

On my drive back I had a black squirrel run out in front of my truck. I gave him plenty of lead time and he took it all. Squirrels are notorious for running across, and then half way back into the road--which is usually when they get hit. I watched him
run up a tree and I pulled over and photographed him in the shadows of the branches, on the overcast day, still cinching a black walnut in his mouth. Okay, not the worlds greatest shots, especially hand holding a 1000mm lens.

Up the road I found a large cat sitting in the snow alongside the highway. I have a campaign, "Stay home, save a raccoon."
But in all reality, I found more dead cats than raccoon these past four years driving the same route. Usually within a week of
seeing them near the highway, I find them dead on the side of the road.

I picked one up a couple years ago. The thing was lice-coated, flea-bitten, half-starved, and 99.9% dehydrated. It was about 45 below outside and I watched this young cat literally fall over on its side. So I picked it up. Drove it to my vet, and it cost me
$300 to save it. My employee took her though and she's been living a happy life ever since.

It was a wonderful day 8, and the flu that had its grips on me yesterday seems to have flown with the winds. Thank you Lord.

As I write now, the snow is falling and we are under a winter storm warning with 8 more inches of snow heading our way.

I don't look forward to driving in this weather, but once there, the snow adds to the beauty of the scenes.

Looking forward to day 9.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: