Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day 11, Saturday, 1/19/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles









Hello Friends,

Here it is almost midnight and I haven't taken the time to share my wonderful day.
The flu bug still has me tangled in its grip, but, I'm slowly recovering. The crisp air
temperature of -9 along with the -30 with wind chill was almost more than my lungs
could handle today.

First stop was Daedee and Dancer's nest area. I hiked back and stood around for an hour or so, and found them flying above, but only grabbed for shots of them today. I then decided to go to the river. I looked and found the eagles again, but this time they were far beyond any quality shots. I took some shots, but they are nothing to post. I keep watching their activity. What do they do on a cold day like today vs a warmer day.

I enjoyed watching them flying beyond the bluffs where the air current changes, and they appear frozen in the sky when they hit the updrafts. They looked like stationary eagle kites hardly wavering, and only every so often tipping to the right, then left. After a couple hours I hiked out and moved on down my outdoor beat.

The trumpeter swans were actively rooting up plants again. They were together and had lost their flock of mallards. The steam rising from the pond mixed with the blowing snow made this scene look like something out of the artic circle.

I moved on to find a peculiar hooded merganser playing around in a shallow pool.
I questioned her lack of fear of me, and wondered if she knew she was eagle bait sitting on the edge preening those freshly-dipped feathers.

I didn't stay long, I didn't want to scare her into flight.

I moved on and found my red tail hawk perched high in a cottonwood off the highway. I grabbed a couple shots of him, but nothing worth posting.

In two hours not a single vehicle passed me on the back roads. In a way that was nice, but on the flip side, if my truck broke down, I'd have a long wait for help.

As I backtracked, I passed the tiny pond with that hooded merganser again. I laughed for now she was dipping, diving, and splashing up the entire area. I parked my truck and began shooting her again. This time she rose up holding a shiny, silver fish and tossed it in the air, swallowing it head first.

I stayed awhile, in fact, she swam within twenty feet of me, right by me, and almost acted like she was there to be filmed, like she knew she was the highlight for today. I filmed her, and photographed her: preening, dipping, diving, catching, swallowing more fish, gobbling down a plant and bulb the size of a small ear of corn. For such a small bird, I don't know how that even fit inside what could only be a fist-sized stomach.

I had so much fun photographing her, I hated to leave. I thanked her. I always thank the animals. I think they understand that. I hope you enjoy this ducks photo portfolio for today, she really earned it.

All eagle nests were empty today. I hope tomorrow is like today, full of surprises, and new visitors in the most unlikely places--almost waiting for my arrival.

Looking forward to Day 12.

See you on the journey--
Lisa

No comments: