Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 187, Sunday, 7/13/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles

Hello Eagle Friends,

The weather was pleasant today with temperatures climbing into the mid 80s. The skies were blue with lots of sunshine making it a perfect day for taking in our second trip to find stories during the 150th anniversary of the St. Charles, Minnesota fair. The winds however, presented challenges to the exhibitors. Some of the smaller tents literally folded in half, crumpling their posts during periods of brisk winds.

We had returned for one show in particular, the Mitchell's Marionettes. By chance, we not only were lucky enough to get to observe one of the Mitchell's 40th year shows, but we also happened upon one of last performances of their opening shows' star performers, Valentine, the floppy eared rabbit puppet who officially retired with the ending of today's fair.

After the Mitchell's Marionettes stellar performance we took in a few games and rides, and I shot some images of the various fair scenes before heading off to my eagle project.

When we arrived at the eagle nest hike-in access, I hiked in while Dave and Em opted to wait for me in the comfortable air conditioned truck.

The twins were sitting side by side on the north limb of their nest tree when I arrived. They called out to the river where I believe their parents were hunting for their evening meal.

I hoped that I would get to see them both fly off together and I almost did when the winds picked them up on one strong gust, almost launching them.

Daniels has been sleepy the last two days, and I'm a somewhat concerned for his somewhat lethargic appearance and the way he is huddling in close to the nest.

D'ODEE on the other hand, at 13 weeks of age today, spent his evening flying from limb to limb, but I think he was trying to fly back into the nest to pick through fish bones but couldn't figure out how to get around Daniels who was blocking his flight plan.

I left and we moved on to nest 2 which was empty.

On our way to nest 6 we came upon a mother turkey with 6-8 chicks. She led them into the tall grass, then peaked out and ran across the road while the clutch of button-sized chicks trailed under the shadow of her tail.

At first glance I didn't see the eaglets at nest 6, but as I was shooting my video I noticed movement on an upper branch, and found them.

When I arrived at nest 5 I was pleasantly surprised to find both eaglets had made their journey back to the nest and it was like old times watching them wrestle each other for the perch that juts above the nest. One flew back into the nest and picked through the remains there.

I didn't find any activity on nest 3 or 4.

On our drive back I spotted the young buck and doe and spent some time photographing them. The doe was in rare spirits butting heads, leaping, bowing and lunging at the buck she seems to want to be with and a second buck who joined them.

I got some great shots and video of them and then I heard a vehicle pull up. It was my friend Chad who I had not seen in a long time. "Didn't know you made it down this far," came his greeting from his van.

He and his daughter were out taking evening pictures. We talked awhile and then both decided we better say our good byes, or the golden light will set before we take another shot.

I had put all my gear down and was looking forward to a quiet ride home while Dave did the driving. That's when I noticed all the geese and their mature gosling's on the edge of a muddy pond.

I shot their pictures down to my last few images on my flash card.

Then Dave noticed the two baby raccoons. I'm sure it was the same skinny little fellows I met there a week or two ago. The one let me follow on the other side of a slough, fifteen feet away and he would stop and feed on various twigs and shells in the water. He was a cute little guy and I wondered where their mom was. They were too young to be out on their own--yet they were surviving.

It was too dark to shoot any more pictures hand holding my big lens and trying to shoot at 1/20th of second is not something to brag about, quite the opposite. I only had 8 pictures left on my card and I spent more time pressing the little trash can icon on my camera, deleting everything I shot because the pictures were too soft or blurry.

I said good-bye to the little coon who impressed me with his curiosity of me and I walked back to my truck.

As we were heading out of the valley a red fox ran in front of us. "Dave pull over. I think I can get his picture."

He bolted down the edge of the riverbank and hid in the shadows, but I could still see him. Photographing him was another obstacle.

I got one blurry shot as he dashed up the side of a bluff. I know they have a den somewhere in that 1/2 mile area. I see them often there. As I walked back to my truck the coyotes, or wolves were baying.

That's when I noticed four fox pups sitting up on the edge of a grassy hill. I could see them even in the shadows, but pictures without a tripod were just not going to be possible.

The last I expected was to have one come tearing down the hill full speed ahead, and ran right up to me. I put my hand out, "WHOA! Little guy--where you going?" He stopped and looked up at me.

There was a truck coming and he would have been wearing the pavement had he not stopped. Then he turned and ran up the hill. I took a couple steps and he bolted again down to me. "What the heck are you doing?"

He almost brushed against my leg and then he jumped into the ditch.

We think he was trying to follow his mom or dad across the road. Maybe he was running from a coyote. If you didn't know, I'll tell you from my own observations that a fox is a coyotes favorite snack.

I hated to leave those cute little foxes but I'll see them again on another night when the moon is low in the sky, and the coyotes or wolves are howling.

I'm looking forward to day 188.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: