Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 182, Tuesday, 7/8/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles










Hello Eagle Friends,

Today was another wonderful sunny day with the eagles. Temperatures were in the mid 80s when I arrived in the valley but dropped lower as the afternoon turned to evening.

I found no activity on nest 7.

It was much more enjoyable hiking out to nest 1 today, no need for a wet suit anyways.
I could hear both eaglets close together, and I hoped I'd find them on the nest tree when I arrived.

The grasses are 8-10 feet, so trying to see the nest while hiking in isn't impossible, but you do have to wait for a good wind to part the grasses ahead.

I arrived and found Daniels Charlie in the nest and D'ODEE out on the north limb. I wasn't there long before Daniels flew off the nest and joined D'ODEE on the north limb, perched side by side.

They each called out, one after the other as the parents flew by in their attempt to get D'ODEE of the nest and into the air. From what I was watching, it truly was a family working together to help D'ODEE overcome his fear of falling.

After Dancer flew past with food, almost coming into the nest, he got the eaglets' attention and caused Daniels to fly into the nest. I think Dancer wanted D'ODEE to
try coming off the nest.

Then Dancer left. Next a huge wind blew in, it was so unexpected it lifted and blew D'ODEE forward where he almost fell off his perch. He was quick to regain his post and from the look of fear in his eyes, I knew he had not been off the tree yet.

Then Daedee came by about a half hour later and was just checking on the twins. The twins were hungry, and finally after the sun had disappeared behind the bluffs they must have started wondering where their food was.

Daniels lifted off the nest and flew up and down the river a couple times and then circled the nest, not one, not twice, but three times. I thought at first he was trying to figure out how to land, but then I realized he was trying to get D'ODEE to follow him.

When that didn't work he flew in from the top of the tree and dropped perfectly into the center of the nest. This is something I've never even seen his parents do, of course they haven't spent their first months of life staring straight up trying to figure out a path out, either.

I was able to get some good footage of this, and some good still shots. D'ODEE was all excited when he returned, and I thought for sure he was going to try and leave the tree. He flew down the north limb, spread his wings and called out--just like Damian used to do before he would launch, but just as he was ready to go, he'd just stop.

It was dusk by the time I walked out, barely enough light to see the other nests let alone photograph any activity on them.

I guess God must have known that I would use up all my light at nest 1 for when I arrived at nest 2, that was empty.

Nest 6 was empty. Nest 5 was empty. Nest 3 was empty, and I couldn't see anything on nest 4.

I didn't see any bucks, raccoon tonight. Just a handful of rabbits and a great snowy egret in a tree.

I left knowing I got some important footage tonight, and I left knowing that D'ODEE is finally ready to leave and I strongly sense he will fledge tomorrow.

As I pulled into my driveway I realized I had fifteen minutes before the Barnes & Noble closed so I ran in and told Em, "Hurry up--we can get your book you wanted."

Dave cooked tonight, dinner sat on the counter in a brown paper bag and the contents of John Hardy's BBQ permeated our kitchen. But, dinner had to wait a half hour as I promised Em a trip to the bookstore if I got back in time.

I'm looking forward to day 183.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: