Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 37, Thursday, 2/14/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles


  
 
 












Hello Eagle Friends,

I appreciate your visits here and your comments.

Today was a cold day in the valley. We had a blowing snow advisory until late afternoon.

It was was 15 degrees while I was out, but with wind chill it had to have been below zero.
I had to take a late start to catch up on calls and past due work that I never seemed to get to.

The day just kept tripping me up the farther I ventured. It was one of those, "Domino days" where one set back triggered a long row of unfortunate events.

I'll just be glad when it is midnight, and I can return to my pumpkin.

The special Valentine's dinner we have been planning for two weeks for tonight was cancelled due to an employee calling in sick. Guess we'll do a rain check. Wishing you a speedy recovery M.

Actually by the time that call came in I was already smiling, because I already know that when life turns that fast on me, and nothing goes right, that is when I need to trust God. It's in that exact trust that I find he is handling all my details.

I only had twelve bucks on me. Which is eleven more than I usually have, so if you have dishonorable intentions of robbing me, keep in mind two things: First, and I just went over this with Visa "You aren't everywhere I want to be!" (That was my emotional release after arriving
at the movie theatre just as the movie was set to begin and their "Visa server" was down. The girl at the movie counter said, and I quote, "I'm sorry we can't take your Visa card our server has been down all night."

"Well, then the movie should be free ---"

"There's a cash machine across the street over at the Kwik Trip."

"By the time I get back to my truck, wait for umpteen million cars to pass so I can drive across two lanes, and then drive the two blocks to Kwik Trip and then come back the movie will be half over."

"I'm really sorry."

"I'm really sorry too."

Second: I never carry money. I soley rely on the good graces of God above to help me.

I figure if he has gotten me this far, he'll be there when I really need him. What I think is great is even though he lives up to it, he doesn't even need a tag line like, "I'm God and I'm everywhere you want to be." I don't even have to carry a card with a Holy Ghost hologram.

Em said, "Let's bring dinner to dad."

"Okay, but where can we eat for twelve dollars?"

"McDonalds."

"Okay."

I was amazed that we had full meals, burgers, parfaits, and salads, and a hot fudge sundae for Em and it was $11.53. I want to personally thank McDonalds for offering a varied and tasty

$1 menu for people, like me, who are seeminly always working with little or no cash.

The valley was full of mischief today. I hiked out to Daedee and Dancer's nest area but I racked up my knee last night so I didn't go too far. I'll be good tomorrow. Nothing was stirring there so I moved on.

There is a rabbit who has been coming out of a snow-cave which is built on top of a fifteen foot in diameter pile of flood brush. Along will come coyote and that will be the end of that bunny.

The swans entertained me for about forty minutes. They were diving down under the white caps whiched tossed those mallards up and down like bobbers on the wind-moved waters.

They hit a good weed patch today, and I photographed them pulling up two and three foot weeds, sucking them down their long beaks like spaghetti noodles.

The geese stayed so close to them, I'd say they had their own private label, goose down coats. Still, I sensed from the birds clumping together, all the ducks and geese swam around the swans, that some critter was stirring around the pond that I couldn't see.

Then some mallards rose quickly from an adjoining pond and landed right next to the swans. Suddenly, both swans' long necks stretched tall, and became erect as their heads both of equal heights, turned back and forth in the same direction, at the same time like two mechanical wind-up swans. Whatever was out there had them paddling cautiously, too.

I didn't see the Nest 6 eagles, maybe they were low in woods. I've caught them there a couple times now watching the ducks.

I moved on and found an eaglet flying over the trees by Nest 3. There was an eagle on Nest 3, and one in the air between nest 3 and 4.

No eagles were in the nesting area at Nest 5.

I did get to catch another glimpse of the little cottontail from the other day. He was sitting in the same opening of his orange-sandy cave. He was completely content with me raising my lens to him, snapping his images.

Then I watched as a clump of snow blew from branch above, and landed right in his ear. He immediately shook it out, and then he raised this huge foot which came up to his ear and he began scratching out the snow. After the snow removal, he he put his foot in his mouth and began licking it dry.

I drove another side road searching for some creatures lurking, stalking, sitting, or sleeping.

Instead, I found ten more miles of untouched, pure white, snow-covered hiking trails that I'd like to be the first to snowshoe on, up and down. I saw a couple red-tailed hawks sparring in that area yesterday and I wondered if they had a nest nearby.

About a year ago, I was on the payphone in the nearest town and I watched a pair of red-tailed hawks spiral downwards, locked talons, and they came within inches of hitting the ground.

That would have been another one of those coveted "Kodak moments," if only my name were "Kodak."

I searched up and down the valley's looking for nests today. Looking for migrating birds and all I found were three sandpipers. I wouldn't have found them if I hadn't focused in on a mallard and blue-wing teal. As I did I noticed a long beak and a small brown bird sitting on the dirt shore of a small stream.

At first I thought it was an American woodcock, just because it had a long beak, and short, stocky position, but then it stood up. It had been sitting on the shore. He later joined his two fellow 'piper's upstream.

I found another eaglet flying around as I was leaving the valley. It made me wonder where Daedee and Dancers', Damian and Dorothy eaglets from the 2007 nesting season were and if they were okay?

All joking aside, it was a wonderful day, "dominoes" and all.

I'm looking forward to Day 38.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: