Friday, February 8, 2008

Day 31, Friday, 2/8/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles







 


Dear Eagle Friends,

Today was an exciting day in the valley. It was 28 degrees most of the day and the wildlife was abundant due to dark overcast skies that promised, and later, delivered snow flurries.

My daughter scouted the bucks and does on the bluff while we were heading into the valley, so I tossed her my video camera and said, "tape them." I must have shot two dozen images of these antler-less white-tail deer watching us.

Most ran off, but four of them stood, hiding behind branches, all clumped together. Two bucks covering two younger does. The look on their faces was so solemn, so courageous. After a few minutes all the deer skipped up the bluff, and looked back often to see if we followed. 

I know the pictures above aren't the worlds greatest, but look into those bucks faces, those sweet, soft eyes. Can't you just feel their trusting spirits? You wouldn't believe how many ex-hunter's confide in me, the woman in the woods, and tell me how they can't even shoot them anymore because they see that softness in their eyes too,  and wonder how they ever had shot them to begin with.

I have nothing against the hunters. I just couldn't ever shoot an animal, especially a deer.

Then I rewound Em's tape. There was only a minute left of footage on that tape 11, Year Four Dancer & Daedee, but it was worth it. "Em, this is wonderful!" 
She smiled proudly. 
"How did you see those deer?"
"I have a keen eye," she replied.

When I looked at her again, in a split second I envisioned her as being an accomplished videographer, we could be a mother-daughter photographer team, if she wants that.  Today we were.

Almost all the eagles were off somewhere again today. I only found Tookie's parents, Edward and Elaina, nest four eagles, back sitting in their favorite afternoon tree. There they sat side-by-side facing their empty nest. Maybe they were trying to envision their future eaglets sitting in the nest? The picture is horrible, the lighting was bad, and I was almost a mile away from them. I am only posting it to show you how the eagles are beginning to sitting closer to one another now. Their relationship will grow more intimate over the next few weeks as courtship begins.

We could have eaglets in this valley in as little as seven weeks. I'm still counting on the Nest 6 pair to be the first to lay and have the first offspring in the valley. Daedee and Dancer probably won't start for another month.  

I found "Sweetie" the red tail hawk sitting on his third perch in the valley that I see him at. He didn't even flinch when he saw me today. He peered back, hiding behind a twig, looked  at me and then ignored me.

On my trail I stopped to stared at one of the frozen marshes, examining the tracks that led to a large hole in the thin ice. "Look Em, something went in and didn't come out." 

However, after looking at the tracks again, I realized they must have been the river otter's. I keep trying to get their pictures, but they are elusive, just like those blue jays who land a half mile away. I can't get their pictures either.

As easy as it would be to shoot birds at a feeder, that doesn't capture wild behavior like them feeding on seeds in the wild. It's a different look. 

I did however, find something I least expected. A big, black opossum. I have never seen an opossum moving at the speed of this critter, either. He was heading into the road, and I probably saved his life by slowing down, because that caused him to turn quickly and run right back up the hill, then, up a tree where he disappeared inside. I had grabbed the video camera and taped him running up the hill. I thought that would be more exciting than a handful of blurry, black blob shots of what would look like an unidentifiable animal with neon pink feet and nose.

I managed to grab three shots before he became another shade of black in the shadows of a hole in the tree. I looked at my photos. One was a black blob, and two were of his pink feet. So I am posting one of those to show you how pink those feet were. 

I'll find him again. I know his tree. I have never seen a black opossum so I am glad I at least had this black wanderer on video. I told Em, "In two days you have seen animals and behavior I never have seen in my life. Do you know how lucky you are?"

Yesterday I wrote about how something was creating an aura of uneasiness for the ducks and geese on the trumpeter swan pond. Today, when we arrived there was a handful of feathers, no tracks around, and just one drop of blood in the snow. 

Perhaps it was one of the eagles, or possibly a red tail hawk took the bird. Whatever it was it was airborne. Today it was good to see all the ducks and geese appeared to be at ease. They were either swimming casually, or resting on the bank with the swans. They must look at the swans as their white protectors, maybe that's why they stay close to them.

I had my radio interview this morning with Gundy and Big Red from TheBigWild.com They are fun hosts, and I have enjoyed both my interviews with them. They have a wonderful outdoor radio show, with numerous affiliates and I encourage you to check them out. My segment airs 2/22, 2/23, and 2/24/08 on their affiliate stations. You'll have to go their site for times in your area. 

I'm glad Em is feeling better. I kept her out of school, only because her doctor told me I should, even though she was feeling better.

Of course, I've always believed that nature is our best healer. That is a renewable gift each day from our Lord.

I'm looking forward to Day 32.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: